Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Sunday mornings


There is something incredibly beautiful about seeing two grown men, dressed in the traditional chuba, walking into the temple holding the hands of a small child. It makes you smile from the inside out. One of those times where your heart swells, and you witness true beauty in a single moment. My Sunday morning was nothing short of divine, an early morning walk around the Kora, I am surrounded by people of all ages with the same intention – of beginning the day with some peace, prayer and maybe even some focus and clarity. I never tire of the temple and the Kora. Every time it brings a smile to my face as I meander around the circumference of the temple, home to His Holiness the Dali Lama. The breathtaking view over the valley, the countless prayer flags, the Tibetans, often in traditional dress and the soft and gentle sound of “om mani padme hum” and clicking of prayer beads. This morning I am joined by the village dogs, a few cows, the odd monkey and a range of stunning birds. They too know that this place is special, that it holds an energy that is beyond words.
Early morning at the Kora
The crisp morning air tells tales of the overnight snow in the mountains and the evidence is there for your viewing as you round the corner of the temple and you stop, you have no choice. The view is spectacular. It is easy to see why it is a popular photo stop for the few tourists that have also ventured out on this fine Sunday morning. A gentle rain begins to fall and it does not dampen my mood. It can’t. I walk the temple with my friends – the two men with the small child turn out to be people I know. The arms of the chuba engulf the small boys hands and form a seamless connection between the 3. One of the men stop to adjust the woollen hat on the boy, carefully ensuring he is protected from the evident chill in the air. My heart swells again. The care for their friends child is incredible – I think back to the 20 something boys and what they would be doing at 9am on a Sunday morning.  I am guessing it is not taking a friends child to a temple. Things are a bit different here. And I smile again. Difference, it is what I love about this place. It feels so familiar and comfortable, but each day I am reminded of the differences, some of them small, and some of them significant.

No comments:

Post a Comment