Sunday, July 29, 2012

How to nourish your soul

Hanging out in the west is not too shabby -  I am cold....I put on the heat, I want to go to a yoga class..... I have a plethora to chose from and the power is on all of the time. The list is endless really. All things that you take for granted but I can assure you are not given's in some parts of the world. I love catching up with friends and discovering new things to amuse my 6 month old nephew with ( this week it is singing "what's up pussy cat" and I have him in stitches) but, there is always a but, I find some things challenging and difficult and leave me asking why?

People are busy in the city, from morning til night it is go go go - I know, I used to be one of the inner urban dwellers that rose at 5am to start my day and maxed out every minute before I fell into bed at 10pm.  I think it made me feel more useful, more valued and more valuable the more I could squeeze into a single 24 hours. I notice now that lifestyle whilst sometimes is rewarding and it certainly allows me to be where I am now (think financially) but on the flip side, I wonder how I could've truly connected with people in the past, how I might've been fueling my body and my mind to some degree (as I was leading a pretty healthy lifestyle) I was somehow missing out on fueling my soul. Nourishing one's soul can prove a tough trick in the set of the city and the hectic life that goes with it.

Taking time out to simply breath, to ponder, to dwell, to smile, to listen, to read the paper from cover to cover, to enjoy the sunshine on your face, to eat delicious food and savour it.....simple things that take time, and awareness to enjoy them. I read today in the Sydney Morning Herald weekend magazine an article about the pursuit of pleasure, how hedonism is alive and well but how we feel guilty for seeking pleasure. I get that pleasure seeking lifestyles that are fixated on external vices filling an internal void are perhaps not useful, but seriously, having a day in bed with a good book or a long lunch the lingers into the evening are things now seen to be pursuits purely about pleasure and we feel guilty about partaking in them....it is a bit sad really.

Life is short, I am reminded of that today as I received the news that a guy I worked with last year died last week - 25 and a HIV sufferer. I am reminded to savour each and every minute of this life, don't fill it with "stuff" or a long list of things to do, enjoy it, and do things that nourish your soul. I am reminded not to post pone happiness for one more minute, to not get caught in the "should's" but to do the things that help me be the best person I can, and to help others to do the same. And from time to time that may be a day in bed with a good book or a long lunch that lingers into the evening. Perhaps you can do the same :)
http://www.mitrataa.org
PS You may remember the organisation I worked with in Nepal last year - they are doing amazing work with women's and girls development and also are running Bal Mandir Children's Home - they are fundraising at the moment. One great way to nourish your soul is to give so perhaps you could support some kids who don't have iPods or private schooling, but are in need of your help.

No comments:

Post a Comment