Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A few of my favourite things

A friend of mine has a great blog (http://www.innerpickle.com/, you should check it out) She has a regular section called "this moment"....it's about noticing a moment and remembering it. (I love it Fi) But it got me thinking about the moments I am having here. Whilst on the outside, day to day life can be the same anywhere, routine, and maybe even boring. But when you start noticing each moment, and the little things that make up the day, it makes you realise how truly special a day can be and well, almost magical.

So I thought I would share with you a few of the "moments" from my day, that are fast becoming the nuances of McLeod Ganj, but are the things that bring a smile to my face and a warm fuzzy feeling in my belly. (Note, many of them are related to getting warm!)  It starts with the view from window in the morning, the snow on the mountains; getting my morning coffee from my regular cafe (whilst I am supposed to be letting go of routine some habits die hard); reading an English newspaper; walking up the hill; walking down the hill; a smile and thank you from a student; humbleness, gratitude and humility of people; a tibetan asking me to explain dictatorship; the same tibetan not knowing who Adolf Hitler is; a monk saying hello every day and noticing my hands are cold; a colleague making me steaming hot tea everyday; a guy going to the temple to get a name for his nephew that is about to be born; the monk who comes to class everyday but can't speak English but he perseveres; the cows; the monkeys; the dogs; the views from every angle; the heater in my room and warming my feet; the hot hot shower; porridge with banana and honey; momos; early morning at the temple; explaining what a platypus is....the list is endless....

I always thought it was a great talent to remember these moments, the little things that often pass you by, but I have realised the talent lies not in remembering but noticing in the first place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment