Sunday, February 27, 2011

Life in a bubble

On a sunny Sunday afternoon, I am sitting at my regular coffee shop and coming to the realisation that my time left in the bubble of McLeod Ganj is soon drawing to a close. I can't believe that in less than a week, I will be heading onto my next adventure. Now don't get me wrong, I am very much looking forward to my 3 weeks meditation workshop with Swami J, in fact I can't wait. But part of me will  leave with some sadness as McLeod Ganj has been like living in an idealic bubble for nearly a month, and I have loved every minute.  I am not sure if it's the "feel" that this places has as it certainly has a specialness that you can't quite describe. On a walk today with my friend Catherine, we found whilst it was nice to get out and explore, we really missed McLeod. The lively nature of the small streets, the monks casually chatting over chai, the random animals on the street and dare I say it, the honking of the cars and bikes. There is something in the familiarity of the streets, the locals that you walk past and greet not through politeness but through recognition, the sun shine that whilst has not been a regular feature today graced us with her presence...I can keep going. It is just simply put lovely.


And then of course, I am never sure if it is a place that is truly special or the people, maybe it is a combination of both. But I have been blessed with meeting some really lovely people which makes a significant difference to my time here, and helps keep the bubble fun and interesting. I met Catherine I think in my first few days in McLeod and we hit it off instantly - we have managed to while away hours over breakfast or coffee, enjoy the many great places to eat in McLeod, take in a movie and venture out to enjoy the scenery (to work off the food we eat I think!!)  And even dusted off the disco shoes at "Black Magic" (a story unto itself, but perhaps we will leave that one for in person)


Then you have the Manzoor - the Kasmiri guy I met on my first day who always looks out for me, John - the guy who runs the cinema who changes the schedule for us when we need it, the Nepalese guys at our Sunday favourite Carpe Diem restaurant, the monks who come to my conversation class every day, the guys I am working with at CHOICE - PC, Dondul and Norbu - all doing amazing work with the prevention of HIV, the Cafe Budan guys Jamphel and Ta Bo....So is it the people or the place? I am still not sure, but either way it makes for a really great way to spend a couple of weeks, or as some do, a couple of months. Life in the bubble. So my last week will be spent soaking up the atmosphere, maybe venturing out for a day trip but mainly hanging out in a place with some pretty cool people.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

great to read this, feel like travel

Anita said...

Fleur - all your blog radiates such a harmonious and balanced bliss you are experiencing - I am impressed and love to follow you.
I am about to embark on a month work trip to Brisbane, Ipswich - back to medical work for a short while, an odd feeling after more than 12 months.... I have to work on my self esteem a little.
Big hug and namaste, Anita

Annie Chandler said...

best line: There is something in the familiarity of the streets, the locals that you walk past and greet not through politeness but through recognition.

i love reading your blog...

Unknown said...

I love that you are reading my blog Chandler :) xx

Post a Comment