Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Me, Myself and I

It seems like I have almost moved from one bubble to the next. I am now in Rishekesh and just over 1 week into a 3 week meditation retreat. Like McLeod Ganj, life in the ashram is very easy and I have slipped into the routine without hesitation. The day is quite structured and begins with tea at 6am, followed by practice and coaching on physical stretches and breathing techniques that are necessary for the preparation of the meditation practice itself.  The rest of the day flows into discussion groups, teachings on the principles of yoga, and a total of 4 practice sessions per day.  For an hour at a time, we begin by systematically working with the body, the breath and then the mind, with the actual sitting in meditation lasting about 30 minutes each a time. 
On the banks of the Gange, the ashram of Swami Rama provides an idyllic setting for finding peace and tranquility. The beautifully cared for garden, the like minded people from all over the world, the warm gentle breeze – all contribute to a space that has a special feel to it.  Different from McLeod Ganj, I am finding myself feeling that same connection, that in 3 weeks, I am sure I will be reluctant to move away from.
Meditation creates a lot of time being with yourself. Watching your thoughts, noticing what arises and hoping for a moment of silence. Of blissful space where everything ceases to exist, the body, breath and mind are one and everything else fades away, in that moment, that glimmer, you find peace. It is a truly remarkable process to work through, and something I am finding I look forward to every day. I enjoy the discussions (you will know I don’t mind to chat) but here, it is the time to be with myself, to find that space, that I am most enjoying. Our even craving. I find myself watching the clock in anticipation.  Some days I can slip easily into the process and the flow and my mind plays along, allowing me the space and then others, it jabbers away in protest, almost like a small child seeking attention. Going with the process, I am learning that neither is right nor wrong, but simply observing the differences.  Allowing my thoughts to pass by, like clouds gently moving in the breeze, my thoughts begin to move through my mind. Not lingering for too long, but long enough for me to recognise them as thoughts.
So if you have done a lot of meditation you will recognise the pattern, or if this seems like a bunch of mumbo jumbo, you can think that I am crazy and skip over it. But either way, I encourage you to hang out with yourself for a minute or two, it is really interesting what you can learn.  Sitting for a moment and just noticing, playing witness to your mind can be extremely powerful. So hanging without myself is becoming an enjoyable process, and like sipping on a warm cup of hot chocolate, sliding into your freshly made bed with clean sheets or receiving a hug from someone you care about, meditation becomes a delicious experience. You should try it some time J

No comments:

Post a Comment