Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Eat, Pray, Love


Many people asked me last year if I was influence by Elizabeth Gilbert’s novel, “Eat, Pray, Love”. Was I seeking my own version? My initial response was no, I am not Elizabeth Gilbert. First of all I have no book deal paying for the adventure (although it would be incredibly helpful if I did) and second of all, I did not feel the need to “find myself”. Although on reflection, I was really wanting to experience something different, I was craving change and I had thought that was with my outside world but if I am honest, maybe it was partly internal as well.  I didn’t find myself on the bathroom floor in despair over my life, but I did feel that I wanted change. My life was great, but I wanted more. I wanted to stretch my personal boundaries, let go of the things I thought were important (good job, nice apartment, great car, shoes, clothes – the list is endless) and see what was really important to me? I can safely say that so far, my trip has been everything and more. I have learnt so much and am continuing to do so. So I guess in a way, and I hate to admit it, I am doing a “Eat, Pray, Love” of sorts. Love or hate the story (there appears to be two distinct camps), what you can’t deny is that Elizabeth really does immerse herself in her surroundings and has the luxury of experiencing some pretty amazing things.
The eating started in Poland
Like Elizabeth, Europe is the “Eat” part of my adventure. I am currently living around the corner from some of the most amazing food markets I think I have ever seen. Fresh pasta, a wonderful fromagerie, bakeries that make your eyes water and a beautiful wine store make my French experience exactly as you would expect. De – licious.  I am spoilt for choice and really did not know where to begin.....and with the luxury of an apartment I can easily purchase my own food and prepare yummy meals. I am in heaven. But Europe has really been a gastronomic affair from the beginning. It started in Poland where daily we would snack on fresh bread, cheeses and beautiful berries – I don’t think I have ever bought a kilogram of strawberries and devoured them in a day (I had help). Sweden was the same, fresh fish on the bbq, new potatoes and lots of dill. The Swedes put it on everything. I even ate herring and can honestly say I enjoyed it! I am loving the variety of fresh food, and the simplicity in which it can be prepared and then of course enjoyed. An appropriately matched vino doesn’t go astray and of course the good company certainly helps, but I am certainly eating my way around Europe. Like Elizabeth, I am little concerned I may need to up size my pants, or maybe opt for the elastic waist band for awhile as I am sure after 8 weeks of this my jeans that were a little loose will be quite snug. Initially I was concerned, but have decided to embrace it, enjoy and maybe even go for a run to combat the extra intact of calories – or maybe I can run tomorrow, I need to go and get some fresh croissants right now. Better still, I can run to the bakery! Bliss. It is all about balance and enjoying the moment, so for now, I am going to embrace the fact I am in Paris, eat that extra piece of cheese and drink another glass of Rose, hell, I had enough Alcohol Free Days (AFD) in the first 6 months, surely there is a stock piling system. And I will do it with the biggest grin on my face and I can simply undo the top button of my jeans. 
and continued in Sweden.....
 PS The likeness is to the “Eat” section of the novel....I will keep you posted on the Pray and Love parts :)


No comments:

Post a Comment