Wednesday, December 7, 2011

My Guy


One of the joys of traveling is meeting new and interesting people – wherever you go you find like minded people (unfortunately as well as your fair share of idiots), but on a whole, people tend to make a place. I have been so blessed to meet amazing people along the way – old friends and new have made each meeting unique and memorable in so many ways. As a solo female traveller, you can find your self in many interesting situations but looking back, I have been incredibly fortunate that nearly every step of the way I have found myself surrounded by kind, good natured people that have my best interests at heart. And in most cases they happen to be male.....Funny for me as an independent chic who likes to take responsibility for herself and certainly does not need “looking after”....I have to admit I have quite enjoyed having “my guy” in each place that can help me sort anything and everything from a local SIM card to travel arrangements or even just carry your bag.

I am currently back in Mcleod Ganj in India, a place I just love and feel at home in. Partly because of the place, but mostly because of the people, and I have been reminded again, of how lucky I am to have come in contact with awesome people.  So I started making a list –  and I decided to share this with you as a way of showing gratitude to the number of guys that have helped me in some way along my path. I apologise in advance for anyone I have omitted, and chances are most of them on here will not ever read this....but here it goes anyway:

Manzor
Shyam 











Jose; Allepey India – for showing Bella and I true Keralan hospitality late one night, Manzor; Mcleod Ganj India – calling me to make sure I got home safely every night, Jamsheed; Mcleod Ganj India – bringing me steaming tea on cold night, Sherab; Mcleod Ganj India – saving me a seat at class everyday so I could be his teacher, Tsultrim; Mcleod Ganj India – warming my hands every time I saw him (first thing he did when I saw him again this time too, so sweet), Jamphel; Mcleod Ganj India – giving me the cakes that didn’t always work out, Ta Bo; Mcleod Ganj India – carrying my bag to the bus, yet again, and teaching me so much about myself...

Eddy
Pablo











Pablo; (Chile) Rishikesh, India, for the best foot massage, Amit; India – finding lost luggage, changing tickets, arranging buses and just about everything else, Shyam; Pokhara Nepal – for being the best little brother you could ask for, spending 7 hours on a bus just to come and see me, Narayan; Pokhara Nepal – taking hold of my back pack on a 30cm ice ledge on the trek and saying “I’ve got you” while we made our way down the scariest descent I have had, Paul (Sydney) Nepal/Tibet – one of the easiest travel partners, Eddie (Belgium) Nepal – being the most amazing gentleman,Ramesh; Kathmandu Nepal – sorting anything I could possibly ask for and introducing me to the Nepali night life, an experience I can assure you I will never forget, Atal; Kathmandu Nepal – being the cutest little cheeky monkey in the world (he is 2) and giving me the biggest cuddles every time I saw him totally unprompted, Juz (and Sar) London UK – for feeding me wine and pizza the moment I walked in the door, 

Ramesh
Anoj


Robert (and Ulla) Poznan Poland – showing me everything there is to see in Poznan,Johan (and Marie) Helsingborg Sweden – making me feel part of the family, Christian (from Sydney) Mexico – restoring my faith in Aussie boys that they can be kind, caring and just plain lovely, Pradeema; Kathmandu Nepal – for incredible hospitality during the festive season, Anoj; Kathmandu Nepal – shiva anunda, Amish; Kathmandu Nepal – making sure I have a roof over my head and an am welcomed “home”

 
And?? There are many lovely ladies that also have made my trip so far unforgettable, but I had to highlight in particular the boys. The guys that have been my fixer, my go to person, my friends in perhaps some of the most unusual situations with no expectations in return. Well, I have had marriage proposals from a few on the list, but then that is another story altogether :)  SO thank you to my guys, for being there, for caring, for helping me out and making me feel safe and secure.

2 comments:

Josja said...

Great piece! Very nice those guys , happy they take good care of you!
Big hug josja

Unknown said...

Thanks Josja!! Hope all is well in your world xx

Post a Comment