Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Memory Lane



We had a half day trip outing this morning – a break in the schedule to take some focus out of the head and to experience some of the local culture. We stopped at a view point and we all needed a toilet break – when you are travelling, toilets are always guaranteed an interesting experience. Particularly in Asia. You enter, hold your breath in case of obscene smells, and quickly glance around the floor for any spillages, in some countries you may find the “western” toilet but in many you are greeted by the squat toilet (which in most cases is decidedly more hygienic) it is a bonus if it is clean and double bonus if there is loo paper. Not really that common though. I remember my highlight or perhaps my lowlight travel moment, and of course it is related to a toilet. Somehow it always is. 

I was travelling between Kathmandu and Pokhara, about 6 hours on a local bus. We stopped for a toilet break and as I entered the squat toilet (typical in Nepal) I was greeted with a slightly unpleasant odour and an overfull bowl. Not nice but you gotta go, so you don’t look and go about your business. Until I realised there was something moving in the bowl.  I was peeing on a rat. It still stands out today, my breath caught in my throat, along with my lunch as I apologised to the drowning rat (what a way to go) and got the hell out of there. Pretty gross I know. But in countries like India and Nepal, not really a surprise. I have had so many moments where I think WTF?!?! And you have no choice but to embrace and carry on. Hoping that on some level it is helping you become more open, perhaps more flexible and will allow you to cope with any situation that is presented to you.  There has to be a silver lining on peeing on rat right?

So after 13 countries and 18 months I have a pocket full of memories and moments that I love to reflect on. I started also writing down some of the key themes, one word to remind of the simple things that you often forget on a large trip. Bec (my sister) and I did that when we set off on our European adventure many moons ago and all we need to do know is say the words pigeons cooing and we are in stitches for hours.  So whilst I wont share all of my words and memories with you here  as it becomes a bit like ”you  really had to be there” – I will share some of my favourites that you can maybe understand (and perhaps you were there with me to experience in the joy, chaos, hysteria)

1.       The lifeguards in Kovalam beach wear full uniforms, they have to remove them to save anybody so they often do a beach run as they are stripping down to their speedos.
2.       Paying $1 for a 3.5 hour train in India
3.       Listening to the sound of people retching in an Aryuvedic Clinic (for one week)
4.       Mumbai for the smells, the pigeons and the cows
5.       Going to a church in Mcleod Ganj in February and they were playing “Last Xmas” by Wham – the full nativity scene was still on display, either late in packing up or early?
6.       The  monks in conversation class telling my they love hip hop
7.       Our Belgium friend asking if one of the girls would “pleasure him” (He meant with pleasure)
8.       Walking hand in hand with an old lady around the temple in a Tibetan monastery
9.       Going to 2 weddings
10.   Meeting Miss Nepal at Bal Mandir in Nepal
11.   Walking over  dead rat in Nepal the size of a small child
12.   Seeing Aussie boys kick a footy under the Eiffel Tower
13.   Having a Dutch Lay Preacher tell me he knew he was going to be a Preacher when he had a dream about a girl exposing her breast to him (he saw that as a sign she was showing her heart)
14.   Waking every morning to fireworks and drumming in Guatemala (it is how they do political protests)
15.   Going to a “Sexy Dance” bar in Kathmandu – I will leave you with that
16.   Losing a phone, a scarf, some clothes in the post between the UK and Central America, having my wallet and phone stolen – and not really being worried about it.
17.   Seeing the sun set and moon rise all at the same time over the Himalaya’s
18.   Being in Bodhgaya and awaiting the arrival of His Holiness the Dalai Lama, surrounded by older Tibetans softly chanting “Om mani padme hum”
19.   Tibenglish – a mix of the Tibetan and English language – plant egg, being told “you complete me” (meaning my day is complete now I have seen you) just to name a few
20.   GIANT animals in Thailand – I swear they were on steroids, or my mind was playing tricks on Vipassana
Sunset....

Moon rise - at the same time....stunning

I say this time and time again, it is really the people, so you know who you are, the life long friends I have met – you are what makes this trip and the memories truly special.

No comments:

Post a Comment